October 23, 2002
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
This recipe is from the BreakEggs site - great cooking site!
3 Tablespoons butter
1 large Vidalia onion
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes
5 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
5 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon thyme
white pepper, to taste
½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat butter in a large soup pot. Add onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, broth and apples, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue cooking until the squash and apple are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree in batches. Return the soup to the pot.
- Stir in brown sugar, nutmeg, cumin, thyme, pepper and cream. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve the soup with a warm spinach salad and hot crusty bread for a fabulous fall meal.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes