March 06, 2002
Banana Nut Bread
My dad called this morning to share this story that had been on GMA this morning, and we thought it might be a good one to share here, too :)
ABCNEWS.com : Recipe: Davises' Banana Nut Bread
: Since the Persian Gulf War in 1991, the Florida couple has baked more than 14,000 banana nut bread cakes for American troops both in the United States and abroad, using an old family recipe.
That's a lot of bread!!!
Here's their now-famous recipe:
Yield: 3 loaves
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 2 eggs (extra large)
• 4 medium bananas (soft and ripe, not rotting)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 cups flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup walnuts (shelled, not crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease pans or use pan liners for loaf pan.
- Mash bananas. Add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well with mixer (medium speed).
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt and add to mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour mixture into greased or lined loaf pans.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until bread tests done.